When the temperature finally rises above freezing, thoughts of the beach will come to mind. The Pavilion at Easton’s Beach was built in 1887 by the firm of Peabody & Stearns. In 1902, with the help of private donors, the facilities were enlarged and assumed the appearance of a Mediterranean Villa, complete with bath houses, restaurants, a merry-go-round and roller coaster. All buildings were swept away during the Hurricane of 1938. Most of the present structures date to 1992.
Above: Color postcard of Easton’s Beach, circa 1930.
“Refreshment Stand & Dairy Bar [Newport Creamery]”; taken by City of Newport’s Recreation Department, 1957.