Retail Operations Specialist
Reports to: Manager of Museum of Newport History & Shop with coordination from Assistant Manager
Status: Full time
Salary: 27,000- 30,000 based on experience, plus benefits package
The Retail Operations Specialist assists with all operations at the Museum of Newport History’s Shop, including, but not limited to customer service, assisting with high volume retail sales, running retail reports, merchandising, organizing and managing backstock, overseeing supply buying, and assisting with merchandise buying. This position operates from the Museum of Newport History at the Brick Market 127 Thames Street, a highly trafficked public environment owned and operated by the Newport Historical Society. Ideal candidate also has an interest in history and with training and time, comfortable answering visitors’ questions about Newport and the Museum. Schedule will include some holiday, weekend and evening hours.
Activities include but are not limited to:
- Assist daily retail operations, with a focus on selling merchandise by connecting product to Newport’s history.
- Manage backstock inventory, which includes organizing merchandise, running frequent spot inventories of various departments, and knowing proper backstock location of all stock.
- Assist with occasional marketing and promotions of NHS events, including social media posts, updating calendar listings, and communicating with various hotels, visitor’s center, and other high traffic locations.
- Run monthly sales reports for business office.
- Help oversee inventory levels, assist with writing purchase orders, pricing product to maintain strong margins, receiving new product, and stay current on product and merchandising trends.
- Help with the merchandising of the store to best reflect the mission of the Newport Historical Society, including seasonal window displays.
- Open and close store and museum, ensuring that all alarm/detection systems are operating properly; monitor the cleanliness of the building and grounds; report all maintenance needs to supervisor.
- Accurately operate the cash register, ensuring that sales and sales reports reconcile at the close of business each day; sell NHS tour tickets; document daily attendance by recording the number of people at end of the day; enter visitation statistics into computer spreadsheet and help complete monthly visitation report.
- Manage non-inventory stock and supplies by performing weekly spot checks and ordering when needed.
- Help maintain and oversee the webstore, www.shopnewporthistory.com along with Amazon seller account.
Non- Retail Activities
- Help manage visitor experience by answering questions, stocking brochures, and familiarizing self with all operations of the Newport Historical Society as well as Newport’s history.
- Assist with monitoring the safety of visitors, museum collections, and the condition of the sites.
Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required. Must demonstrate high level of sales, interpersonal, and management skills. Proven ability to communicate both orally and in writing with a variety of individuals and retail math. This individual must be comfortable prioritizing tasks, managing a high degree of interaction with the public, have an enthusiastic attitude, be self-directed, project oriented and able to multitask. Candidate must be able to work weekends and some holiday/evening hours.
Must be able to comfortably navigate stairs several times a day and carry 30lbs.
Email a resume and cover letter to Jenna Teachout, firstname.lastname@example.org
For any questions call 401-841-8770.
Chosen applicant will begin immediately, with a 90-day probationary period.