In 1945 cities from around the world were invited to promote themselves as the ideal site for the new location of the United Nations Headquarters. Under the leadership of John Nicholas Brown and kinsman Hon. Major Sherman Stonor of Oxfordshire, Newport submitted a proposal with the support of Governor Pastore and Theodore Francis Green. Newport’s ideal climate, sophisticated culture and legacy of democracy would make a perfect location, with the new headquarters building erected at Fort Adams. Ochre Court, Seaview Terrace and The Breakers would serve as offices and embassies, and a plethora of underutilized and abandoned mansions throughout Newport would be available for purchase. The international search committee rejected all proposals and chose free Rockefeller land in New York City for the headquarters, started in 1948.