- This event has passed.
Colonial Wedding Expo History Space Event
February 15, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Join the Newport Historical Society for a History Space event on Saturday, February 15, 2020 from 10am-1pm at the Colony House, Washington Square, Newport, RI. This Colonial Wedding Expo is part of the programming by the Newport Historical Society for the Newport Winter Festival.
Much like the present day, weddings in colonial America were a time for celebrating, however, brides did not wear white gowns, nor were diamond rings and wedding registries the norm. Explore colonial wedding traditions interpreted by costumed living historians during the annual winter History Space event.
Activities during the program:
- Talk to a bride dressing for her ceremony.
- Discover recipes and special foods that were commonly served on the occasion.
- Learn the story behind couples who were married at the time of the American Revolution, portrayed by living historians.
- Discuss wedding traditions for different religious groups that were represented in 18th century Newport.
- And attend a recreated 18th century wedding scenario.
The Colonial Wedding Expo takes place on Saturday February 15, 2020 from 10am-1pm at the Colony House on Washington Square. Admission is free, donations are welcome.
Photograph by Caroline Goddard.